Due for commencement of mining in January 2024, the Santa Open Pit is a strategic addition to Silver Lake’s Mount Monger Operations, providing further baseload feed to the Randalls Mill. The area was originally mined as a series of Open Pits, and then an Underground operation which ceased in 2020. Santa’s potential will be unlocked through redesign into a large Open Pit operation. With several additional potential Open Pits proximal to the Santa open pit, including the Rumbles and Flora Dora prospects, this role offers the opportunity to impact the direction of multiple start up, cut-back and consolidation projects.
Reporting to the Open Pit Mine Manager for Santa, you will oversee production and scheduling to ensure optimisation of ore extraction, on time and to schedule. You will have responsibility for mentoring and coaching Production Engineers, as well as coordinating production activities with Foremen and Shift bosses. You will hold the statutory position of Alternate Quarry Manager when required, ensuring production and safety compliance of the operation.
Other responsibilities include:
- Ensure drill and blast designs are completed on time and to a high standard
- Setting up production tracking and reporting systems
- Oversee and mentor the output of Open Pit Engineers
- Lead meetings to provide directions on the day’s mining activities
- Assist with quarterly forecasting of activities on a monthly basis
- Generate daily production report and undertake daily open pit inspections in the absence of the Open Pit Mine Manager
- Participate in incident investigations
- Assist with completion of end of month reports as well as statutory reporting
- Oversee management of open pit service providers
- Review and issue work instructions to the Mining Foreman and other contractors
- Conduct workplace inspections
- Provide ongoing leadership to Contracting companies & direction to SLR staff
- Support and deliver strategies to achieve optimum performance from the fleet
You are a motivated and driven Mining Engineering professional with a strong Open Pit Production focus, who thrives in a dynamic environment. You enjoy the autonomy of working in a small team, and proactively seek out opportunities for improvement. You work collaboratively with a wide range of people and have exceptional leadership and communication skills at all levels.
You will need to demonstrate you have:
- Recognised tertiary qualification in Mining Engineering
- WA Quarry Managers Certificate of Competency, or requirements to obtain QM ticket
- Significant experience in open pit hard rock mining, preferably Gold
- Demonstrated experience in coaching and mentoring others
- Willingness to undertake the requirements for eligibility as a statutory Supervisor under The Work Health and Safety Act 2020 ('WHS Act')
- Experience in start-up of new Open Pit operations, and breadth of experience across multiple Open Pits would be an advantage
- Experience using mining software, preferably Datamine, Surpac and EPS
This is an exciting opportunity to make your mark on a project from commencement, and is offered as an 8:6 FIFO from Perth roster, or Kalgoorlie residential position. An attractive salary, as well as short- and long-term incentive scheme is on offer to attract an exceptional professional.
To apply for this role, please submit an updated resume and cover letter by following the APPLY prompts.
Silver Lake prefers to hire directly in the first instance. Should support be required, we will approach our preferred supplier recruiters in the first instance.