Deflector is a high grade, narrow vein Gold and Copper mine that is located 160km east of Geraldton. The ore is contained in a series of structurally controlled lodes, making it a technically challenging and fascinating mine to understand. First Gold production commenced in May 2016, with gold recovery achieved through a gravity circuit, and production of a copper gold concentrate through flotation. Production is recording strong year on year growth, with investment into near-mine and in-mine exploration paying dividends.
Due to an internal promotion, we are looking for an enthusiastic and committed Graduate Geologist to join the team on an 8:6 roster. Working closely with both the Exploration and Mine Geology teams, this role provides the opportunity to build a solid foundation in the industry through the collection of geological data whilst maintaining quality control process and procedures. You will be expected to meet industry best practice while operating in a safe, sustainable and efficient manner.
Key responsibilities of the role will include:
- Provide assistance to Geologists to ensure that work programmes are completed as planned;
- Liaise with contractors, suppliers, Traditional Owners, Landholders and other Departments as directed;
- Undertake diamond core processing, including logging, mark-up and orientation, core cutting, sampling and other related measurements;
- Ensure RC percussion and Air core programmes are conducted to company standard, with particular reference to logging, sampling and QAQC protocols;
- Assist with underground mapping and sampling to minimise ore loss and dilution and increase the geological understanding of the deposit;
- Undertake other sampling and data collection activities as required;
- Maintain Exploration assets in good order;
- Complete rehabilitation of drill sites and other related ground disturbance activities.
You have a professional attitude and the ability to build, develop and maintain professional relationships with a wide range of people. Your can-do attitude and attention to detail will ensure all exploration, sampling and data collection is carried out to the highest possible standard and level of accuracy.
This will be supported by the following qualifications and experience:
- Tertiary qualifications in Geology are essential;
- Current C-class WA drivers licence;
- Ability to observe safety rules and regulations;
- Must be in good physical health;
- Be organised, self-motivated and able to work with limited supervision;
- Ability to work as part of a small and autonomous team;
- Be able to communicate effectively with staff of all levels;
- Vacation work experience within the Mining industry, ideally within Gold Mining, will be highly regarded.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work in an interesting and diverse role on a FIFO 8:6 roster cycle from Perth, or DIDO from Geraldton/surrounding areas and be part of a small and committed team.
To be considered for this role, please forward your CV and a brief covering letter bu following the APPLY prompts by no later than Monday 17th February 2020.
You must have the right to work in Australia to be considered for this role.